Thursday, May 24, 2012

TTT

It's Thursday, it's almost bedtime and I am lacking any kind of creativity to blog tonight. So, I've got a little randomness for you in the way of Three Things Thursday.

1. PT - physical therapy.
I've had 2 appointments with the physical therapist so far. The first one wasn't so bad. The most recent one? I am still sore in my left hip from that appointment. He has warned me each time that I will be a bit sore afterwards. I just didn't think I would still be sore 2 days later. I'm now one week down with 5-7 to go. I'm only scheduled for a total of 6 weeks but he told me this week that my type of injury can require 6-8 weeks of PT. What he said following that is what took me by surprise. "You're looking at 6-8 weeks of therapy and then another 6-8 weeks of adjustment back into running. So basically you are looking at a total of 16 weeks before you are back to running the number of miles and the pace you were at when this happened." Say what? Ugh. I'm remaining optimistic. I saw my dr yesterday for a post PT follow up and he asked what the PT said. I told him, "Labral hip tear." At which point he said that my next stop would be the orthopedic dr's office. MRI to determine the severity of the tear. I have been handed lemons and rather than making a sour face and whining continuously about it I am adding sugar to those bad boys and making lemonade. I feel like I will get good news from the orthopedic dr.

2. Workouts.
I'm still in the gym! This is the good news. My workouts are not quite as intense as I am restricted from any kind of impact. So the CrossFit workouts my husband and I were doing are not allowed which isn't a huge deal. We were only doing a couple a week and some time off from those isn't going to kill me. I can not take BodyPump right now which isn't fun. I love that class but again there are just certain things I cannot do and it doesn't make sense to only go and do a couple of portions of the class. So what am I doing? Upper body weights, core, swimming and biking..oh and let's not forget that boring elliptical machine. I use to think that the elliptical was like running but without the pounding pavement/impact but the more I do it the less it feels like running. I do break a sweat but I'm not quite finding that release that running gave me. Biking and swimming are somewhat the same. I'm still adjusting to the swimming thing and actually reached out for some help there because it IS something I want to greatly improve on. The biking is fun. We biked 8 miles tonight and while I wasn't a huge sweaty mess I know I was still getting a decent calorie burn. I'm going to have a great time learning these new things and making myself better at them.

3. Races.
Obviously my race schedule for the year has a hiccup in it. This weekend was to be the one I'd race my way to a 10k PR. Not gonna happen since I cannot hit the pavement in my beautiful Brooks Trance 10s, but I will be hanging out at the race as a course monitor and cheering on 1000 of Knoxville's finest runners...including all my favorite running buddies!! The next best thing to running a race is volunteering for one! I'm sure I'll manage to write a post all about this weekend's race. I'm really excited to be on the other side of it as volunteering is just so rewarding.

1 comment: