Sunday, May 13, 2012

Low mile week/Saturday long run

This past week my goal was to be awesome. I won't go into this coming week feeling like I was not awesome last week but it was definitely a low mileage week. Let me explain why...

It seems that since about mile 17 of my marathon on April 1st I have been dealing with either a hip issue or a pulled groin muscle. I really feel like it is the latter based on where most of the irritating "pain" is located. I put pain in quotations because it doesn't really hurt all the time. It's mostly only annoying really.

Due to this issue and the sinus/allergy thing this past week was pretty low on miles. 16 miles is all I logged actually. I can't tell you the last time I logged so few miles in a week. It's not a lot of fun. I love high mileage weeks!

Here's what I did accomplish this week.
Monday - 3.5 mi run (32 mins/9:01 pace) plus BodyPump
Tuesday - ARC trainer (2.5 mi)
Wednesday - rest day
Thursday - 4 mi run (36:36/9:07 pace)
Friday - rest day
Saturday - 6 mi run with my husband (57:22/9:29 pace)

I mostly felt good all week as far as my hip/groin issue. It has only bothered me during core work and after a run and it's mostly tight. I've been icing it and stretching but finally made the decision this week to call my doctor to see what else I can do. My fear is making it worse and with my race schedule this year the last thing I need is a bonafide injury to sideline me! I am staying positive because really it doesn't feel hurt at all, just tight and annoying.

Yesterday's run felt great! I told my husband that if I was in any pain we stop and just not run. But I decided to start slow and just run. It was so amazing. The weather was wonderful - cool and breezy. We even got a late start (10am) for our run. We decided on the local greenway to avoid hills because the uphills are what really aggravate my issue. We reached our local library at just over 3 miles and I decided I need a potty break. Since we hadn't stopped at that point and were running 6 miles it would have been our turn around point anyway, so the little potty break was great/perfect timing.

Here's splits from the first half of our run.
Mile 1 - 9:49
Mile 2 - 9:35
Mile 3 - 9:51

The second half of the run was just as great except the guy on his bike who was NOT friendly and whizzed past me on the right without even a warning that he was coming up behind me! That drives me nuts and it scared me to death. We did take one short walk break for my husband because at some point I had picked up the pace and wasn't running his regular method.
Second half splits.
Mile 4 - 9:45
Mile 5 - 9:16
Mile 6 - 8:56

And it looks like I might be getting the whole negative split thing. I was not tired at the end of this run so I am thinking starting slow and working up to a faster pace is as smart of a plan as I have read! And seeing that we finished 6 miles in 57:22 makes me hopeful that if all goes well at the doctor this week I might just be able to pull of the 10k PR I am hoping for in a couple of weeks.

And don't worry. My plan the next couple of days is to take it relatively easy at the gym and not aggravate my issue anymore. I will definitely keep ya posted on the issue and what the doctor says. If you can send any spare good thoughts my way though, I would greatly appreciate it!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

1 comment: