Saturday, May 5, 2012

Confession of a Lazy Runner

Today I didn't do a long run. Gasp. I know, right. It's pretty shameful I suppose.
Tomorrow I am not going to make up my long run. Say what!? I have not lost my mind. I haven't even lost my love for running. I am not injured or hurt really. Nor am I breaking any of my May goals by skipping the long run.

I do feel kinda odd only logging 16 miles for the week but hey that is 16 more miles than a real lazy person would log in a week so maybe I'm not totally lazy after all. Truth is I did kick butt Monday through Friday in the gym and running.

Monday - I joined my buds in the Tin Roof Running Crew and ran with D. He and I logged some miles in the heat and humidity and didn't totally suck with our pace. (3.5 mi - 33mins - 9:24 pace)
Tuesday - Remember the Tuesday Torture workout I posted? Mercy. Logged more miles that day too. (3.5 mi - 30 mins - 8:34 pace)
Wednesday - 4 elliptical miles then another lifting session.
Thursday - Solo 5k on the local greenway. An actual negative split run!!(3.1 mi - 29 mins - 9:24 pace)
Friday - Agreed to an early morning class with one of the hubby's former student/athletes. All core class. I went early and did a fast tready run. (2 mi - 17:46 - 8:52 pace)


We (my husband and I) had planned to get up this morning and run a little 6 miler from the gym. I went to bed saying that I wasn't going to be in a huge hurry to get out the door to run for once since I wasn't meeting anyone (most of my running crew is away running races). So, when I heard thunder and a monsoon at 7am I knew for sure that I wasn't rushing to jump up and throw on my running shoes. I also knew that I didn't have it in me to hop on a treadmill for 6 miles. The last time I did that was before the marathon and it sucked. The treadmill is just no fun for me anymore unless I am running fast or doing some kind of interval workout. It's just boring for logging miles.

So, I got up, took a shower and took my time deciding exactly what I would do today.
What did I do? Well, the family and I went to our local farmer's market. We scored some fresh, locally grown spinach and mustard greens that will make a lovely salad for me this week and a cute thornless blackberry bush that my husband planted when we got home.

My husband WAS going to run today. His plan was to run the Foothills Parkway (downhill) in prep for a half marathon we have coming up this summer. So, the kids and I drove him to the top of the mountain and watched him run. We stopped at every single pull over and snapped pictures like this...
[caption id="attachment_1330" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Daddy runs downhill! [/caption]

I didn't just drive the car down and snap pics from the window. Nope. I wasn't totally lazy. The kids and I played. I have proof that I moved my body..


Overall I am just here to say that I'm not burned out on running or working out. I am not really injured though I don't find taking 2 rest days this week is a bad idea with my silly hip/groin issue. And even though I didn't burn tons of calories running my butt off today (nor will I tomorrow) I did have a great time spending the day with my family. I was also happy to be behind the camera for my husband today even though he wasn't racing. I still captured some pictures of him running. The kids and I also had a great time playing and being silly.



What did you do today? Do you have a lazy confession to make?

1 comment: