Sunday, May 20, 2012

5 days down

It has been a whole 5 days since I last ran. Most days I am completely fine with the fact that I cannot run for a while. I'm injured. It sucks to have to say that because other than the occasional clicking/locking in my hip and slight pain I feel fine. I'm adjusting to this because I know there are still some things I can do to stay active as long as no impact is involved.

Friday was a rest day, like usual and my husband and I had a date night. I didn't count the little bit of dancing I did as activity even though I worked up a slight sweat but it was good to hang with my running friends all dressed up with "underwire and eyeliner" in place for a fun night!
[caption id="attachment_1364" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Date night...no running shoes or shorts allowed![/caption]

Saturday morning wasn't exactly as I had planned. Plan was to hit the gym and jump in the pool. Did not happen. We slept in a little, went to breakfast then had to pick up the kids...all before 10am. One of the kids was sick so we couldn't go to the gym. We ended up taking the car to wash and vacuum then going to get groceries. My activity for the day basically included that, plus putting away said groceries. I took about a 45 minute nap before deciding to get out to the garage and get my bike down.

[caption id="attachment_1365" align="aligncenter" width="300"] She needs a name![/caption]
She's shined up and her tires have plenty of air. She just needs a name. I took her for a test spin around the neighborhood logging almost a mile. I'm thinking I should get a bike rack so that I can take her for a ride on my usual running trails. That would turn my mood from less then thrilled to completely excited quickly!

You see it has been a total of 5 days...FIVE days.. since I last ran. That's probably the longest streak of no running for me in almost a year or better. Like I said, I have been mostly fine knowing that not running and doing my PT stretches/exercises is key to my healing but yesterday (and so far today) have been tough mentally on me. I'm reading all my friends race recaps and seeing their race photos from the weekend and it stinks knowing that I have not logged a single running mile in so many days.

So instead of allowing this to make me grumpy and depressed today I am going to throw my gym clothes on and log some miles on the elliptical. It won't be the workout I want to help clear my mind but it will make me feel better to get my sweat on!!

I'm 5 days down with 39 to go!

3 comments: