Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Taper, carbo loading and my shoes

Taper
I have mentioned before (maybe a day or so ago) that it is taper week. I am loving taper week actually. It is my chance to just run - low miles at a comfy pace without even thinking about training. I've put in the hard work of training for so many weeks/months and now I am just ready for race day.

~Monday I ran a 3 miler at 10:27 pace
~Tuesday I ran 2 miles at 10:42 pace, trying to slow myself down and tell myself slow, steady for the half on Sunday because afterall 13.1 miles is much different than 2-3 miles! ha

Today is my big dilemma. I had planned to run 2 miles at the gym, yes the treadmill. BUT I woke up grumpy mad and fiddle farted around getting myself and Peanut boy ready to leave this morning, which means I did not pack my gym bag. Shame.on.me. I have an appointment tonight at 7:30 and figured I could just dress for the gym, hit my appointment and then go workout. But what would I do??

Run? Eh, don't have to because like I said the training is done and I am ready to let my legs do the work Sunday.
Elliptical? Ooh thrilling.
BodyFlow class? Hmm. Haven't taken it before so it would probably be wise to not enter something new into the routine just days before the race.

Tomorrow I plan to walk an easy couple of miles just to keep my legs feeling loose. IF I feel the need to run, I will go slow. Friday, same thing depending on my schedule with work, hubby's track meet and guests coming in from out of town.

And no, I am not stressing over the taper or even what to do the next few days ( I just needed something to talk about and bore you
with.hahaha).


Carbo loading

I have not started doing this and I am not even sure "how" I should go about it. I remember one time (for a 5k) I had convinced myself I needed to carbo load. Wanna know what this smart girl did? Ha! Maybe you don't.....
I inhaled almost a whole package of Lofthouse frosted cookies. I blame stress.over.a 5k!?!!? Caraaaazyyyy! And seriously, looking back on it, yes I am ashamed I did that but hey, live and learn and thank goodness that I am a totally different girl today or you might see me in line at the local Kroger paying for 2 dozen of those bad boy cookies.

Our actual dinner plan for the night before the race is simple...
grilled chicken and baked potatoes.
Easy peasy and healthy.

How do you carbo load before a big race?

My shoes
So, I have been an Asics girl since I started this running thing a couple years ago. I started in 2140s after being fitted at my local running store. loved them. I ran in 2 pair of 2140s and then of course you know how it goes, they tweak it a bit for the next year and out came the 2150s. Bought those, twice. And here I am in 2011 with a pair of 2160s I've been running in the last few hundred miles and during my half marathon training.

I do love the shoes but have noticed my foot/heel/leg being irritable during the beginning of my run and a wee bit after. So, this week (why this week??) I decided to pull out the last pair of 2150s I ran in before the 2160s. They aren't completely worn out as far as the mileage on them so they feel fine.

Yesterday I packed the 2160s in my bad and wore them for my 2 mile run. My legs felt like they were really working hard to go. Muscles felt tight(ish) but the run was ok. Part of me feels like I should run Sunday in the 2150s because they feel best for these short runs, but the other part of me feels like I should wear the 2160s because they are the shoes I did all my training in. And really, I am not stressing over this because I do not feel like either shoe is a wrong choice. It's just one of those things I noticed in the last week or two.

Decisions, decisions.
And yes, I totally said fiddle farted in this blog post. ;)

9 comments: