Monday, January 24, 2011

>The rest of the story

>So, where did I leave off?

230 to 178 and back again, right? Yep.

In 2008 I did get a little help from a dear friend who signed me up to run my first 5k ever. It was in July of 08 and as she was newly pregnant I was as new to running. And by running I don't mean the act of jogging at a fast pace without stopping or whatever definition you want to use. I mean there was some fast foot shuffling but mostly walking. 48:59 minutes later I crossed the finish line.

And I didn't run again or attempt to lose anymore weight until April 2009. I had enough, summer was coming and by golly I DID want to run (like for real run!). So, I stepped foot into the walk in weight loss center I visited a year prior and again I had a bit of success but after a couple of months and another swimsuit season I decided I could actually do this on my own without their expensive bars and 3 times a week "counseling" sessions.

So, I bought a few books, read a few chapters and journaled what I ate. I went back to my gym...the one where my memship sat unused for several months. And I started going at least 3 times a week. I started back into a regular running routine and by April 2010 I had lost  almost 40 pounds. 

I had finally worn a bathing suit on summer vacation that didn't include a coverup skirt to hide my thighs. I ran the same 5k race I ran in 2008 two more times, improving my time by almost 15 minutes! And I learned that I could definitely do this weight loss and running/workout thing ON MY OWN.

I sought out the help of the dietitian at my gym because like with most anyone attempting to lose weight around October of 2010 I hit a wall and the weight wasn't moving. She had me loosely follow a diebetic eating regime. No, I am not diebetic or even prediebetic but she said the eating plan would produce results and with just tweeking what I was currently doing she felt I would lose weight. And I did. I lost 10 pounds from Nov. 1, 2010 until Jan 1, 2011. I followed the plan she gave me of eating 6 small meals a day and continued with my workout schedule.

I overcame a fear in 2010 and started going to group classes at my gym. I found I LOVE BodyPump and started trying to at least make that class 2 times per week. That added to my running and healthy eating is what aided in the 10lb loss.

BUT...
that isn't all. There is one more important thing that helped me get there.

I had to have support. And let me tell you people, if it were not for my husband and his unending support I would not have survived over a year of healthy living. We make healthy meals at home for the most part. He started running with me early in 2009 and he has stood beside me through my whole journey. Always always believing that I could achieve my goals.

In 2010 we ran 5 races together.
In 2010 I lost an additional 20 pounds making my weight loss total as of Jan. 1 60 pounds.

I set new goals for 2011 and he is right there helping me achieve those.
1. Lose 20-25 pounds
2. run my first half marathon

I still struggle every single day of this journey. I struggle with food choices and fight the urge to make bad choices. I admit to making bad choices or allowing myself cheats once in a while. I feel it is somewhat important to do that because (if you are like me) if I don't I will think about those bad foods (that taste freaking awesome) for so long that when I do give in it is a complete over indulgence and leaves me feeling guiltier than it would just by giving in to a tiny craving. Makes sense? HA!

I still struggle with my image. Yes, it is true that I hardly look like the 230 lb girl I was back in April of 2009. But there are days (LOTS of days) when I look in the mirror and that girl is the same one staring back at me. I curse that girl everyday because I don't want to be her. I don't want her to haunt me with her chunky thighs and fat belly and her size 20 pants/size 2x tee.  It is very hard to see the changes my body has made...changes *I* have worked hard to get.  BUT I know they are there, even when I do struggle to see the girl I am now and not the girl I was...

There's more! Stay tuned (again.).

3 comments: