Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Procedure from Hell-O!

Monday morning I was scheduled to have an MRI. Not just your ordinary MRI though. My particular MRI of my hip would also include an arthrogram procedure. I did some Google searching prior to my test just to kind of prepare myself for what would take place. Normally I would not get so worked up over an MRI. I don't like tight spaces or loud noises but I'd been through the process of an MRI several times before and knew what part of that to expect. Even after doing some Google searches and finding videos such as this and descriptions of the procedure such as this I still was not overly thrilled with the procedure or even sure of what exactly to expect. I guess I was in a bit of denial because maybe they weren't actually going to do this particular procedure on me after all.

Boy was I ever wrong. They did it.

I could not ever get anyone (dr's offices, PT) to tell me for sure what was to be expected. Just an MRI, easy. You'll do fine. That's all I heard. No one ever said, "Yeah, they're going to be putting a huge a$$ needled into your thigh and move it all the way to your hip joint." I even asked at the radiology department the day of my procedure when I was checking in if it would be a typical IV in the arm to inject the dye or my hip. The lady either didn't understand my question or knew I might run (haha) the other direction and out the door.

I admit to being a huge wuss when it comes to needles. I hate them. I don't like IVs or blood draws but I really do not like needles of the larger scale. Especially those that will be put so deep into my body!

Once I was changed out of my shorts and tee shirt (don't think I didn't go dressed like the runner I am!) and into the lovely paper shorts w/the lovely tape opening in the back I was sent to another holding room where I paced the floor and chewed off the remaining 3 fingernails I had. The sweet lady, her name now escapes me, came back to get me and led me to the x-ray room. This is where most of the panic went down.

She proceeded to have me sign some papers and let me know the risks of the procedure. 1. infection and 2. wait, was there a two? I couldn't tell you because I vaguely remember even signing my life away as the mere sight of needles and her explanation of the procedure made me light headed and dizzy. No, they hadn't even started the procedure yet. I was still standing. But not for long. Before she could even finish explaining things to me I begged to lay down.

Once I was on the "bed" she put a large pillow under my knees. She went on to explain that the lovely turqoise swab she was putting on my left hip was anestheptic cleanser and couldn't be washed off until after 24 hours following the procedure. Ok. Then she kept telling me their step by step run down of things. That's when I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. By this point I was crying like the big baby I am and she offered to bring me a wet cloth for my forehead. I think I used it on my entire face. To wipe the tears, to cover my eyes, to protect me from the horrible abuse they were about to put me through.

Dr. Cotton (ironic name, huh) came in and began to explain to me further what his steps would be. I wanted to joke with him about his name meaning he was going to be extra gentle with me but figured he had heard that garbage a million times. I say a million because the lady and dr. both assured me he had performed this procedure millions of times, thousands daily. I call BS on that part but whatever. Just do it and get on with it, please!

I was on a bed, paper shorts down on the left side, an X-ray thing above me (thank you Dr for wanting to make sure you were hitting all the right stuff) and then that's when the ringing in my ears started. Crap. I was going to be sick or die. I feel sick and dead just talking about it still. This stuff really creeps me out. I would never survive in the medical field!

The needle to numb me went in. It felt like a mere prick and was fine. The next part is what would be the hell. Large long needle with a butt load of dye in it would now go through my thigh all the way down down down, down some more, wait not deep enough... ahh yes, there into my hip joint. I had to move my legs/feet in then out then in and out again. This was hard having one numb leg with a needle IN it!

I won't say that I felt this happening other than pressure. Lots of pressure. And thankfully 15 minutes or so later that part of the procedure was over. I begged to lay for a few minutes which ended up being only about 15 seconds before I was whisked off that table and into a wheel chair. And within seconds I knew I was going to toss breakfast. And I did. Which was a major bummer because breakfast was good!

Anyway, I'll spare anymore of those details.
I had already been informed that the actual MRI would take around 40 minutes. I wasn't overly nervous about that but wanted to make sure my entire head wouldn't be in the long white tube. It was not. They just occasionally moved me in/out every 15 mins about an inch or so. Not so bad. I even napped during all that.

What I was not entirely prepared for was the after. No one told me that I would be in so much pain (even days later). I rode in the car on my back all the way home, went straight to the couch where I napped for an hour or so. We then went to lunch where I thought I would be able to get up and go in with my family. Not so much. Every time I stood up I was dizzy and knew I was close to passing out. Not a fun day.

I had big plans of taking my daughter swimming at the pool that day since I had taken a vaca day from work. She was not a happy camper knowing that Mom would be planted to the couch all day long.

Around 2 pm the numbing meds wore completely off and I was in a whole other realm of hell on earth than I had ever been in. I had to get my husband to call the dr's office for me to ask if the pain was normal and what I could take for it. They said they'd call me in some pain meds but never did. I immediately cancelled my PT session for the day because the last thing I wanted was to be touched. Heck, I didn't want to be spoken to.I was miserable. I wanted death and fast! Or something.

My PT has told me that it's good to get the procedure so that next time they have to do one they'll be able to compare the two. Let me tell you, God and anyone else this right now... I will NEVER have that procedure ever again. IF and that is a HUGE IF I do ever find myself being told it is necessary then let me tell you, I will be knocked completely out and better wake up with an IV drip of morphine.

Just say no to arthrogram.

3 comments: