Monday, April 9, 2012

What's next for this running mom?

Since the marathon is over so many people have asked the following questions...

~ What's next?

~ When is the next race?

~ Will you run another marathon?

 

So, I have been giving it some thought. Running for me is most definitely NOT over just because the marathon is. Distance running is my thing and will be hopefully for a long time to come. I have lots of goals still to meet and barring any unforeseen injury I am going to reach them all!

What IS next for me?

Well, the most recent next I have is a local 5k race. But you've ran 5ks so much in the past. YES, yes this is true. BUT what I have not done is killed a 5k and that is just what I want to do. I need new PRs for 2012! So, I am going to ramp up the speed work and hope to get a sub 30 min 5k time at the end of the month. I used some volunteer coupons and registered already. Yay!

Then in May I am planning a 10k. I ran the 5k in the same race in 2010 and had a fantastic race but since I haven't ran too many 10ks I am choosing to run the 10k course of that race this year. Again, with a goal in mind. I want a 10k PR too. My last 10k was on Thanksgiving day and I was 15 seconds from a sub 60 min 10k time. I want to ramp up the pace a bit and break an hour for that 10k. I think I can do it but it's definitely going to take some work.

And if you know me then you know I will work my butt off to get as close to my goal as possible for both races!

I also have a fall half marathon that I have been planning to run since I ran it last year. The 13.1 series race in ATL. I kicked it's butt last year with a PR and am hoping for the same this year. IF by chance I won't be able to make that my PR half marathon for this year I am going to run another fall half. I told my husband I need at least one course PR this year. So that either means the ATL half marathon or the Haunted half we ran in Oct of 2011. We'll see. Either way I am excited to see what I am capable of achieving as the year goes by.

Is there another marathon in my future? HECK YES, please!!! I'll be honest and say that no the marathon was not easy BUT I loved every  minute of difficulty I felt during that race. It's weird that I was back in the gym the Tuesday after my Sunday race after only taking one full day of rest but that just proves to me that I am pretty dang fit! I am capable of so much more.I was not in pain (other than my beastly toes) after the first day which lets me know that I'm doing things right in the gym and in my training.

I have not found or registered for another marathon just yet. I'm not even sure if I will run another marathon this year. If I don't it will be more due to the fact that I still can't get Nike, Asics or Brooks to sponsor me. I'm not sure what is wrong with those people but hopefully they'll come around soon. ;) Races are expensive folks and when you're raising a family there are things that obviously have to come before the mama running a bazillion miles just to get some fancy bling. So, if you're reading this and looking for some awesome mother runner to sponsor in your fave face hit me up. haha

There are other things on the horizon for me. I've been giving some thought to trail races since my friend Terri swears they're so much fun. I've even been considering longer distances than the marathon. Uh yeah, you read that right. I'm considering the Ultra marathon too. This would also have to do with my awesome friend, Terri. She's an ultra marathoner. I've seen her work, train and kick some major tail. I am totally intrigued and think I would like to go after at least one  ultra.

 

The breakdown...

* 5k pr (hoping for sub 30)

* 10k pr (hoping for sub 60)

* 13.1 pr

* big distances!

2 comments: