Tuesday, April 3, 2012

CHKM 2012 - part 2

I had not ran the back half of the marathon course before Sunday. I hadn't even seen the course except on paper before Saturday and even then only saw a portion of it. I knew that it wasn't quite as hilly as the first half but that it did have it's fair share of hills. It IS Knoxville after all and if you know or run Knoxville then hills shouldn't be a huge surprise. I had missed the marathon training group's run of the back half but after having ran Cades Cove I was trying not to let it intimidate me.

Going into mile 14 I still felt pretty well but by this point the fog had burned off and the sun was making it's appearance. We headed into a part of town I wasn't really familiar with but I was glad my husband drove me through their after the expo on Saturday so I wouldn't be completely lost. After we saw him at mile 13 he mentioned that he was going to try and meet us in the next little park we would be running through. I knew we weren't too far from there so that was something to look forward to. We ran through a neighborhood and the best part of that that I recall was the hydration station that also was handing out orange slices. I kept saying how that was the best thing I'd had so far in the race. I seriously think I would have been happy just sitting there a while eating oranges and enjoying the entertainment stationed there. lol But instead we needed to press on up the little hill and around the corner. So, we chose to do just that.

There was a couple of stretches between miles 14 and 17 or so that were just boring and there wasn't a lot to see. I remember around mile 17 it getting pretty warm. I also had some pain in my left knee and hip. Pain that was annoying but not quite an injury. I wouldn't necessarily say it got mentally tough during this but it was a bit physically tough. I was close to being over running the hills for the day. I just wanted to get to the finish line. It was still a long way out.

My family (mom, her husband, and kids) were suppose to be somewhere on the course but knowing my mom they were probably late and maybe they wouldn't make it on course? They'd be there for the finish hopefully. Those were the thoughts I had. Terri and I talk some when we are running but I don't recall talking a whole lot during this point and most everything I was thinking I didn't say outloud. I did say, "Oh I see Justin again," every time I saw him ahead on the course. And he was ahead on the course again around mile 18.


[caption id="attachment_1219" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Can you tell how fake that smile is??? "][/caption]

Splits from mile 14-18
Mile 14 - 10:08
Mile 15 - 10:57
Mile 16 - 10:37
Mile 17 - 11:23
Mile 18 - 11:44

When Justin asked time/distance at 18 miles I only felt slightly bummed. I kind of knew at that point I wouldn't make the first goal I had set for myself. I didn't let that get to me but it sucked telling him I was only OK. 8 miles to go. What I was really telling myself was that after 21 miles it's just 5 more which is less than a 10k and if I could just get to 21 miles I would have a distance PR even if it was just one foot further than 21 miles. It's so weird the thoughts that come through my head when I run, but that helped keep me going.

Mile 19 rolled around and there they were. My family. My kids and mom and her husband and a whole crew of other people. My mom had made shirts for her, her husband and my kids. "Team Kimert" Rock on!!! I got a bit teary eyed and choked up. I was excited when I saw them and even said, "There's my kids!" They were so excited with all their, "Go Mom" and "I love you, Mommy!" It really was a great moment. My husband had made an awesome sign for the kids to hold and I was so happy they had it with them. He really surprised me with his artistic ability and creativeness.


Looking back I almost wish I had stopped over on the sidewalk for hugs from my kids but seeing them filled me so many emotions that I was afraid I would totally lose it and be a blubbering mess if I had done that. I wanted to do but as it was my eyes were already filled with tears so I yelled "I love you," and "See you at the stadium," and Terri and I kept on running. It was so cool hearing everyone on that corner yell and cheer for us but seeing my family was amazing.

I don't recall much between miles 19-21 but I know by that point I had taken a couple of short walk breaks. I was fine with that. I didn't care at that point if I had to crawl every mile until the end. I was still in the process of running/walking/jogging/trotting a marathon and it's not every day I can say that! lol As we crossed over the James White Pkwy bridge (I think that's it) and hit mile 20 I said, "We just have a 10k left!" I can do it. I can do it. I didn't say anything but it was at that point I felt a little woozy. I think it was the sun.

We were hydrating and snacking well, I thought. I ignored that feeling for the next mile. We came up to another relay point and there was a lot of cheering. Even if those people weren't cheering for us just hearing any cheers at all was helpful to keep me moving forward. As we approached Island Home we saw our running buddy Lindsay and she said, "You're doing great!" which was a nice surprise. Seeing a familiar running face during the race was nice!

At mile 21 Terri says, "Ok girl get out the music." I don't know why but I asked her, "You think I need my music now?" haha She's pretty smart. I did need that music then. I put my earbuds in and the first song I heard was Eminem's Til I Collapse. I immediately thought of my other running buddies (Michaela and Alissa) who had carried me through my first 18.5 mile run with that very song. Hello waterworks again!? Here I am about to reach a new distance PR and as that song rang through my ears I just ran as best I could. I don't recall any thoughts other than the words to that song.

Til my legs give out.

I wasn't done, not at 21 miles and not at 22. I was too close to the finish of this race to collapse now.

Splits for miles 19-22
Mile 19 - 10:59
Mile 20 - 11:26
Mile 21 - 11:17
Mile 22 - 12:22

We took one more potty break and had a snack. The run through Island Home was great. So many supportive residents and all the signage was awesome. I wish I could remember what they all said, must remember that for next year. haha
We decided to do some run/walking at some point in our run. I remember once we got past mile 23 Terri saying how I'd gotten to a distance PR and that was exciting. SHE was excited for me and I know she was trying to keep my spirits up. She kept telling everyone we'd pass that this was my first marathon. She's so great with keeping the spirit alive during a run, good or bad. She's an excellent motivator!

At mile 24 I finally said, "This hurts so bad." lol It really did. I'm not sure what was hurting or maybe I should say I don't know what wasn't hurting at that point but I was in pain. Not so much that I couldn't keep going but enough that I felt the need to say it aloud. Terri reminded me that we were running a marathon and it wouldn't be a marathon if it felt good. The folks in front of us got a kick out of me saying, "And people just keep running them again and again." The guy in that he/she duo was also running his first marathon! (Hi, Jay!)

We pulled our way up that hill into mile 25 which was bringing us into the city of Knoxville. We were so very close and I knew I could maybe pull out a sub 5 marathon at this point. Then as we approach downtown a couple of ladies with a camera and microphone approach us and say they're going to be our personal cheerleaders for a few minutes. I don't recall the first question asked but oh Terri, my sweet running buddy and friend Terri...did I mention how proud she is of me? Well, she pretty much tells EVERYONE we meet in running or any of her running friends she introduces me to about my weight loss. That was the case on Sunday too. It was the first thing she told that local news crew. And guess what!?!? We made the news. I tried telling all my friends I am a local celebrity. Sure, I didn't do much talking but hey, I made the evening news on the day of my first marathon!

I hope you can see this video of us HERE! So cool really. Even if all I did was grin like a goofball and say, "thank you, thank you."

We ran through Market Square and from there I feel like it took forever to get into Neyland Stadium. I thought we'd be downhill from there but we had one more tiny climb before going into the stadium. We decided to walk one second and when we did and I started back up running I felt a big sick to my stomach. By this time it was really hot and my adrenaline was going and all the emotions were beginning to set in. All I wanted to do was finish. I just wanted to run into that stadium and see my family.

Terri was telling everyone as we were running into Neyland that it was my first marathon. That got a ton of cheers and I swear even if I didn't it sure felt like I had picked up the pace those last few hundred yards. She reminded me to look up at the jumbotron so I could myself crossing the finish line. I did. So awesome.

I had made it. I made in under 5 hours! I ran a marathon. I spotted Justin right away and could just see by the smile on his face that he was beaming with pride. I didn't cry when I crossed the finish line but when I saw him and my son at the end of the stadium I lost it. They were both smiling so big. I knew they were proud of me and I was happy they were there to see me reach another goal in my journey.
[caption id="attachment_1221" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Crossing the finish line.
4:58:33"][/caption]

Splits from miles 23-26.2
Mile 23 - 11:04
Mile 24 - 12:33
Mile 25 - 13:04
Mile 26 - 10:31
.2 - 12:01

[caption id="attachment_1222" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Yay for friends and medals!"][/caption]

Regardless of time, regardless of my splits.. I still reached my goal!!
I earned the 26.2. It may not have been the way I envisioned it in my mind or even the way Terri and I had planned in our training but it was earned. I feel proud.

I'm a marathoner, for real.

12 comments: