Friday, March 16, 2012

Vaca day fun and a Friday run

Wednesday I used a vacation day at work and stayed home to hang out with my family. They're all on spring break so they've been at home while I've been working. Fun..for them, not me! Wednesday's weather was perfect so we loaded the car and headed up to the mountains. I had already decided the night before that I wouldn't beat myself up for not running (it is a taper week) or making it to my BodyFlow class (I did miss it though) since we were going to be doing a little walking. Plus, I was going to be hanging out with my family and that's priceless compared to a workout/run.

Here are a few pictures from our day...

[caption id="attachment_1158" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Cades Cove"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1159" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="oh, hi! "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1160" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Me and my girl"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1161" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="He has no fear."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1162" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="My little buddy and me."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1163" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The boys were being boys!"][/caption]

We had a really great day! We did a little hiking, went in a couple of cabins, played in the water and grilled our dinner out. We are really blessed to live so close to such a lovely area and can visit it so many times each year. I'm so happy to have taken a day off midweek to enjoy away from home, away from the gym and enjoying quality time with my family.

I talked about Thursday in my TTT post so we will just skip directly from Wednesday to Friday. I had planned to get up and make it to the gym early to run a few miles before going to a Core Challenge class. My body had a different plan this morning when the alarm went off. It was NOT moving out of bed. I like to sometimes listen to my body and give it more sleep when it begs. Today was one of those days. :) I enjoyed the extra hour or so of sleep I got. I did pack my gym bag and was debating a midday/lunch run but have serious issues with going back to work gross and sweaty. Just doesn't sound like fun.

So, I decided I would hit the pavement after work and just run what felt good. I set out just after 5pm directly from my office. It's only about a half mile from the local greenway and I liked the fact that it was a different route than my regular plus it wasn't the treadmill! I'm kinda proud to say that all my runs this week have been outside!

Anyway, about a mile in I noticed the sky was getting really dark. I hadn't heard thunder yet and of course didn't check the weather before I left. I text my husband and asked if there were storms. It took a while for him to reply that yes it was starting to rumble over our house. We live about 8 or so miles from where I was running so I wasn't too concerned. I kept on with my run thinking that since tomorrow is St. Pat's day I would run 3.17 miles. Ha! Well, turns out I had gone out a bit further and once I saw 3.10 on my watch I kept going. At 3.17 I wasn't quite back to my car and just couldn't bring myself to hit stop on Garmin and walk the rest of the way back, so I kept running. I ended my run at 3.57 miles in 34:08. It was just in time before this rolled in..

[caption id="attachment_1164" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Hello spring storm!"][/caption]

I seriously got in my car just as the thunder boomed and the rain drops started! Perfect timing!

Since it is taper week and only 2 weeks (where did the time go??) before my marathon tomorrow's long run is only going to be 10 miles max. I sound like a crazy person saying only 10 miles! I can't believe the time is almost here. I'm off to get some rest and will have a last long run before the marathon report for you tomorrow. Have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment