Sunday, November 21, 2010

>Saturday's Fun Run

>Let me start off by warning you that I have sat down more than a few times to write this post and hit delete more times than I can count. The fact is, I AM NOT a writer. I'm not good at it but I enjoy blogging for you as much as I do for me. That being said, if this post is all over the place...forgive me in advance.  ;)

I have talked on here about previous running "friends"  (I put that in quotes because I though these people were friends but have since learned otherwise) and the fact that while I felt they were running with me it turned out they were running against me. Meaning, for them it was a competition. Each race wasn't a personal accomplishment for them unless they beat me/my time. If you've ever been in the same position it can leave a bad taste in your mouth in life as well as running. I for one was bothered more by it in terms of the friendship/life than I was the running. I've said before, I will say it again... I run for ME. I am my own worse competition, every single run.

Moving on....

I was contacted through bloggy land by a new friend. I call her a friend because I think she is even though I only just met her. We hit it off (I think) and anyone that can approach a stranger (albeit the www) is the kind of person I want to be my friend. I am the most shy person you will ever meet, but I am slowly coming out of my shell. My hubby teases me about my phone phobia. I hate talking on the phone for the most part unless I am talking to him or my sister. Ha, I talk to them daily so maybe it is because it is easy. Ok, off track much? lol  I warned you it would happen.

Anyway, it took me until Friday after I got off work to call and confirm plans for meeting my new running friends for our Saturday run. But I was proud I did...oh and extremely happy! I have wanted running buddies for a while and it just so happens that I got me some.. YAY!!! And the non-competitive type of running friends, too! Double score! 

So, we arranged to meet Saturday (they picked me up!! Rock on!) and we headed out to a local trail for a 5 mile run. In the past my 5 miles has been done solo on a local greenway or on the treadmill at the gym. Both extremely tough. My new friends assured me that they were not running for time and were happy to go at a comfortable pace for me. This made me (and still does) very happy!

Saturday's run was one of my most favorite runs to date. A cool fall morning with friends on a nice (but hilly!) trail that I had never run before. We ran the first 1.25 miles before *I* had to stop. I can't even tell you why I had to stop but I did. I told my hubby later that day that I could feel my abs engaged the entire time I was running, perhaps the hills were the reason for that? Either way, I liked that they were right there with me the whole time. This was also my first run with no music but talking. I loved that. These women were great at keeping me motivated the entire run. We took walk breaks when walk breaks were needed. I appreciated that.

And because she is so sweet, towards the end of the run Terri asked if I would like her to snap a pic of me for her blog! YES! Please do! :)

Here Melissa and myself are on our way towards the end of our run. Thank you, ladies for an awesome day, for motivating me, boosting my running confidence and making me believe that I too am a great runner!  My only regret is that I don't have a pic of me and Terri running, but don't fear!! We are running together again on Turkey day and I have a feeling there will be many more group runs in our future!

I hadn't even mentioned that these ladies just completed a half marathon not too many days ago! Wow! They have me thinking seriously about 13.1 myself. I have a training plan printed out ready to go (my second atttempt) and tomorrow will be a 3 mile run as the program calls for.

So, there ya have it... my long post about Saturday's awesome 5 miler and a little blip about new running adventures I'm goin on.

9 comments: