Tuesday, December 14, 2010

>Running right along

>So, I have failed to post since Thursday but I am sure you didn't expect much less from me. haha
Friday was the first time in 15 or so weeks (Thank you, Football season) that I made it to the gym on a Friday night. All of my Friday nights during those 15 or so weeks were spent at the football field watching hubby's team whoop up on their opponents! Fun times.

This past Friday night was different in that I let an Arc Trainer whoop up on me for my scheduled 40 minute crossing training session. Fun times. But not as fun as football. Of course football in frigid temps would have made the Arc Trainer look like a fun time, if perhaps we were comparing the two. Anyway.....

Saturday I had planned to get in 5-6 miles of running but as plans often go with me...
they changed!!! Surprise, right!? No.

I postponed Saturday's scheduled run because we just had a super busy day. We watched the local Christmas parade, I took my Girl Scout troop to sing at an assisted living home and then out for pizza and Christmas celebration (of sorts). And as if that all was not enough to pack  into one day our church Christmas dinner was also that evening. My family (me, hubby, the kids) went to that. By the time that was over my gym was closed. Even though I said I was going to do more outdoor running I draw the line when the temps hit the teens. I just feel there is no way to get or stay warm at that point and sweating just makes the cold worse. Besides that it was dark out. ;)

So, I saved my run for Sunday. I left the house around 4pm for the gym and told myself that I would run 6 miles. And I did.

Now, you all may (or maybe you don't) know that when I run I do take a walk break here or there. I admit it. And I am not ashamed of the walk break at all. If I need it I am going to take it and I know my body will thank me for it. :)

Sunday's run was a bit of a new thing for me. I think I learned that I usually try to go out too fast. I told myself going in on Sunday that I would just go steady. I set the treadmill to 5.7 mph or 10:43 (I think) minute/mile. I was comfortable there. And there I stayed for an entire 2 mile run. I think I could have kept going had I not been in shock that I just ran 2 miles without stopping to take a walk break. I was happy to see 21 mins and some odd seconds on the clock.

I told myself that I only had to do that 2 more times to get in the 6 miles I was shooting for that day. However, once I hit 2 miles in the next set I decided to keep going. I took one teensy little walk break and finished off until the counter on the treadmill read 4.02 or something like that. Then I took a little .08 walk break to cool myself off.

6.1 miles 
65 minutes 54 seconds
10:48 min/mile

I was quite pleased with my little Sunday run on the treadmill. Sure, I would have loved to been faster. I'd have also loved to tell you that I was able to do that outside, but as luck would have it we got snow on Sunday and if I can't brave the teen temps for running you better believe I cannot brave snow on the ground. haha Maybe one day!

I would love to say that I ran yesterday or even today but hubby got sick with a violent case of the icks...stomach bug or something bad he ate so I was on kid duty. LOL And today, well I have no good excuse for not getting up at 5am to start my car and head to the gym before work. Shame me, if you must!! I'm sure I deserve it. I will be kicking it into high gear tomorrow though because tonight's dinner (work Christmas celebration) is at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse... help me! ;) 

7 comments: