Tuesday, February 8, 2011

>Adding up the miles

>So, as you know I am in the midst of half marathon training and over the last 7 weeks I have been following the 10 week training schedule on MarathonRookie.com. I am currently on week 6 of the schedule even though I have been following it for 7 weeks. There was one week the doctor restricted my running due to a little bronchitis. I tried to follow dr's orders that week as best I could, but I will admit I did run about 10 miles that week. And that was hard to do..both the running and the following dr's orders to not run. haha

Anyway, the last few weeks my mileage has really added up. I finally went over 6 miles for my long run. I've ran 7, 8 and 9 miles as my long runs the last few weeks. You may recall I was  contemplating whether this past week's long run should be 9 or if I should go for the 10. Smart people all around me gave me their input and I knew in the end I should just listen to my body. I went for 9.

I am by no means a fast runner except for maybe when I am doing intervals but even my intervals are not always what some would consider fast. I am fine with going slow for long runs because what I really want to accomplish is covering the distance. I can work on speed for short runs and hopefully at some point in my running career it will spill over into my long runs, but again I am in no hurry for that to happen. I just want to run the distance.

Last week was my highest mileage week to date. And I am still pretty proud. There are not too many people that I know in my day to day activity that can say they have ran 9 miles at one time or heck even 6 but *I* can now say that. And pretty soon I am going to be able to call myself a half marathoner!! That.is.crazy.

I am really excited to see the miles add up. This week I am going for a total of 26-27 miles. That's not much more over what my miles were last week but every single mile adds up. And I know there is much room in my plan for improvement on every run. My goal is to just have as many solid runs as I can and to have fun with my training. So far so good!

55 days til race day!! :)

3 comments: