Sunday, February 13, 2011

>Double Digits!

>This week was pretty good as far as running goes however I am going to go ahead and let it be known that I did not meet my overall mileage goal for the week. BUT I am 100% fine with that because it was mainly due to the fact that I was spending extra time with my hubby and kids doing a few Valentine's Day prep activities. :)

Because I was going to be volunteering for a local half marathon and 10k (which my friend Terri just set a new half PR at!) on Saturday plans for my weekly long run were changed. I was suppose to get a 10 miler in this weekend and of course it would be my first double digit run. I went back and forth trying to decide how to work it in. I thought maybe about running the 10k race but then I was going to have to figure out when to run the other 4 miles. I could have gone for it and attempted the half marathon but in all honestly there would have been NO way at all that I'd have been ready for that even  mentally.

So, what did I do?
Turned Friday night date night/family fun into a 10 mile run with my hubby and pizza out with the kids afterwards.
Super fun! Seriously. I left work early and we dropped the kids at the gym daycare. We knew we had 2 hours to get our 10 miles in. We planned our route on the way to the gym, decided one potty break midway and then were on our way.

The first little bit was slightly tough for me because we were at a faster pace than what I am comfortable with and we were running on the street with traffic (at our backs!). But hubby was right there with me. He pushed me right along and finally at mile 4 I let him know the pace was a bit fast for me and I would need to slow down. I love that he (and my other running pals) are so willing to go with the flow of what I need. I think this is probably common among running friends and that's just one more thing to love about the sport. Yes, running IS a sport (even if I am the only person to say so).

We took a potty break at store just past 4 miles, ate some sports beans, drank some water and were on our way. The course we ran was beautiful. We ran on a local greenway. I love our counties greenways. I've ran them many times and each time is such a peaceful experience. At just before 6 miles we passed a lady who looked familiar and we waved, said hi. Then as we got a bit further hubby asked if that was so and so and apparently she heard him because it was someone we know! It's always nice seeing folks ya know especially out and about while running. Neat.

We reached our 6 mile point and knew we only had 4 miles to go. Between miles 6 and 8 we just ran and ran. We didn't even talk about taking a walk break until just beyond the 8 mile mark. Those 2 miles were probably the best running miles for me. We ran along side the water and it was slightly downhill for a bit. The worst part was all the restaraunts in town gearing up for the dinner hour! Not the best running situation and I can remember saying, "good grief I am HUNGRY!!!" Hubby asked if I wanted to stop and grab Mexican at the best little local joint in town. I passed. ;)

To say things were just as great from mile 8 to 10 would be a lie. About every .10 mile hubby would say, "where are we now?" Ugh. Let me tell you, I look at my Garmin A TON... really I glance down at it a lot to check my pace more than anything. After him asking me for about a mile where we were I finally told him to shut up and run. Or something along those lines. Usually when I get to about .50 left before my total mileage goal for that run I will pick up my pace and take off. This time I don't recall doing that. I think we agreed to just keep things steady the last couple of miles and once we hit 10 we would walk.

At 1:54 and some seconds we hit 10.
STOP. Walk. That was a good run. I am glad it is done.
Then my loving hubby says, "I think I will slow jog the little bit back to the gym." haha nice.
We did. Just a slow, steady cool down.

With my loving, wonderful hubby by my side I ran my very first double digit run. TEN MILES!!!!!
3.1 more and I got the half marathon in the bag!!

4 comments: