Monday, July 26, 2010

>The PR that wasn't or something like that

>Friday evening the hubby and I (and our two rowdy kiddos) packed up and headed to GA for a very quick visit with some family. The goal for the weekend was basically so hubby and I could run a race (5k). We arrived around 9:30 p.m. and I was exhausted. I had planned and even set my FB status to read that I would be in bed early! That didn't happen. We ended up staying up chatting until around 11:30 or so. Never fails! After a stressful week and little sleep I really did want to get a good night's rest so I would be completely ready to run Saturday morning. I suppose I did rest pretty well and was wide awake when the alarm clock buzzed at 6am. I struggled to get out of bed though. haha


I checked the weather Friday afternoon and saw that at 8 am (race start time) it was suppose to be around 79 degrees but with humidity it should feel about 85.  At first I didn't think that sounded too bad but since I hadn't been doing much outdoor running how could I really know? lol


Hubby and I usually get to races a bit earlier than we (should) so we stopped and got a drink and pre-race fuel at the local Walgreens. I have a hard time eating anything that early in the morning especially before going for a run so we opted for some Powerbar gels and water, which are two things that I know will be fine on my stomach for running plus they make me feel like I have a little extra umph in my step.


We arrived, picked up our race packets and bibs then headed back to the car to assemble ourselves before going for a quick little pre-race warm up jog. I usually never warm up before a race becauase I am too jittery. But this time since it was just me and the hubby I decided to go for one. A quick little jog up the hill and back down..not too bad. But man it was already hot and it wasn't even 8am yet!  At 7:45 we headed to the start line and snapped a few pre-race pictures on hubby's iPhone. I love that thing! I love having pictures of races and since I can't really run with my big camera it sure is handy for hubby to have the iPhone. :)


 Me and the hubby pre-race. I'm smiling but as the start drew closer I got all jittery and nervous. I had a goal in mind as I normally do and was confident that I could meet that goal. This race isn't a chip timed race so we decided to line up closer to the start (where the fast peeps are) because in the past it has taken a good 2 minutes to cross the start line and we just didn't want to start too far back and deal with the extra time, ya know. Well, I think I got more nervous waiting on the start because this tiny little woman was talking to another guy in line telling him how last year she was smoker and finished in 28 minutes so she was anxious about her time this year since she had quit smoking. Gah, really!?! Last year I finished in 43:34 and this year my hope was to finish in under 33:43 (my previous 5k PR). So, I had let that all go to my head right then and there and I was a bundle of nerves. I hate that. 5k is a distance I have ran many times. This was my 3rd year running this particular race. But there I stood shaking in my running shoes. 

That all went away once the gun sounded and we were off. I hit my watch as soon as I crossed over the start and then waited a little bit before I got my music in place. I don't remember at what point I slowed down and hubby was ahead of me but I finished mile 1 in 10:03 and knew at that point I was right on track for making my goal time. By the time I was getting close to crossing the 2 mile mark I was dripping with sweat and my legs began to cramp up a bit. I had to slow down and walk a little and noticed I hit mile 2 at 22:00. Ugh, I sighed and picked the pace up. Miles 2 and 3 are ran on a trail (part sand, part gravel and fnishing on grass). I don't really train at all on sand, gravel or grass but I knew this was part of the course. I struggled a bit the rest of the course, looking at my watch and noticing the time, seeing different people around me..
Why is it there is always a really cute, full belly pregnant chick nearby? 

Anyway, when I saw hubby heading past me in the opposite direction at 28 and some minutes I knew he was doing well, but also knew that I might not make my goal at this point. I was ok with that. It was brutally hot out. I had not trained like I should have in the heat. I also kept telling myself that last year I was 40+ pounds heavier and the year before that...I had come a long way with my weight loss and my running so not making a 5k PR this time was fine. I was going to achieve a race PR and that is worth talking about!!

 I finished in 35:01. 
A good 8 minutes and some better than last year and 13 plus minutes faster than 2 years ago. That is a huge difference in time! :)
 Hubby and I post race. It really was so very hot. His shirt, shorts and everything were soaked through. So much to the point that an hour after the race when he took his knee strap off he sprayed me with sweat. Ick!
It was so hot that for the first time I could feel the bottom of my feet burning from the heat off the road. That's not a great feeling!

I ended up find a cool spot in the grass and laying down while they announced winners.
We hung around for awards and door prizes. This race always has awesome door prizes. I won a pair of earrings and ended up giving them to Miss Annabelle. Cute little silver stick girl earrings with turqoise. She was very excited! 

Next post - comparison pics from the last 2 yrs and this yr!

7 comments: