Thursday, July 12, 2012

TTT - Physical therapy, a loss and a goal

1. I had another appointment with my PT today. It went pretty well. After my visit with the orthopedic dr on Monday I was told I'd be at the PT 2-3 times a week for 3-4 weeks. My PT did all his "stuff" today and put me down for one visit a week over the next 6 weeks (5 if you take today away). Crazy to think I will have been dealing with injury recovery for 12 weeks and I've been hurt since April. The goal with PT is to get the cyst on my femur to shrink/go away so that the impingement in my hip is gone. I think I could survive the tears but the cyst is what is really causing me so many issues. I have very little stability or even full mobility in my left leg. If you run (or workout) you know how important both stability and mobility are in your legs! Running isn't out of the question but it becoming difficult since all the other muscles and tendons in my left leg/hip/butt area are overcompensating for the damage I have. It probably all sounds worse than it really is for me. I can tolerate running and some of my harder workouts BUT I'm pretty tough when it comes to pain and especially the last week or so. I've kind of decided to just suck it up and get stuff done. But don't let that scare you or make you think I'm being foolish. I'm playing smart with the advice from my PT and keeping him informed of what I am doing as far as runs/workouts.

2. Yesterday we went to the Wednesday night group run. We love this run and the group. I had a great (tempo) run with my friend, Terri. We did 4 miles and I felt really good. After these runs we usually go hang out and eat somewhere. We are a social group, ya know!? So, we were all chatting it up and eating when I reached up and felt my right ear. I have no idea why I did but it was then that I realized my earring was missing. Not just any earring but the white gold diamond hoop earrings my husband got me several years ago. I have very few sentimental pieces of good jewelry so I was (still am) super crushed to find it gone. I called the running store, where I changed clothes after running, and left a message right away. I also called them this morning to see if anything was turned in. No luck. It also was not at my office where I changed clothes before my run. So, while I am bummed the earring is gone I have hopes it might turn up but if not my husband has agreed that we can take the other earring to be made into a pendant I can wear on a necklace.

3. I never set any goals for July. I realize we are 12 days in and usually I have done a monthly goals post by this point but to be honest I don't want to make any lofty goals just to set myself up to reach the end of the month and not have met them. dumb, I know. However, being gone on vacation the first week plus trying to get back into the swing of things with the injury I just don't know what my goals would be. Sure I want to eat better (always do), I want to work out more (still working on that) and I want to PR a race or 2 (lofty goals) but realistically what I want to achieve by the end of the month is to just be better a little happier with myself than I was last month. Happier just to be running and working out again. Happier to still be able to fit my clothes. Happier with any small positive change I make in my diet. Happier that while I may not see the results I want right now, knowing that I am healthy and fit.

1 comment: