Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Carter Mill 10k

I had no expectations going into this race. My only goal was to finish. Coming off of and still recovering from an injury as well as having just ran a downhill half marathon the week before what could I expect realistically?

This would only be my 3rd 10k. I ran Peachtree Rd Race last year in 1:09. That was a great 10k considering I was running with 55k other people. My second 10k was in the fall and on a very flat out and back course. I finished that one in 1:00:14. Just barely under an hour.

In training I have managed to pull off some very quick 10k times. However, the greenway I usually run on is pretty flat. The course for this race looked like this...
[caption id="attachment_1498" align="aligncenter" width="300"] thank you ktc for the elevation/course map[/caption]

Not exactly flat. I was only slightly intimidated the night before this race. So, I just decided that I would finish. In fact I considered leaving my Garmin at home and really just running it to run. But if you know me you know that there is no way I am going to run outside (or even run a race) without my beloved Mr. G. And I didn't. I would have loved to break an hour for this race but I knew there were too many factors preventing it but I wanted Mr. G on my wrist so I could see where I was while running.

I wasn't sure who all would be running this race but was happy to see most of the group I usually run with was there!
I had signed up to run this race as part of our KTC Socialite team. They're a fun group and I'm thankful to be a part of it. We were able to get a few pics before the race thanks to my hubby!

[caption id="attachment_1500" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Bryan, Angie and me[/caption]

This race was not chip timed so we got a bit closer to the start line so we wouldn't have that time to deal with. I started my Garmin just as the gun went off and I was over the start line within just a few seconds. I found my comfy pace right away and just ran. I decided that if my hip or my calf, which started bothering me earlier in the week and was a big question mark on Thrus, started to give me fits during the race that I would just walk. The first mile went by and I was fine. I decided to not get water at the first stop but did walk one bigger hill to give my hip and calf a little relief and then continued running through until the next water stop.

I went back and forth with a guy for a while and was feeling really good about my pace even going up the hills. We played leap frog for a while and around the 4 mile mark we came down a hill and he got right beside me and asked if I minded him running with me. He said he liked my pace but didn't want to be a pest. I didn't mind and welcomed the company. We ran and chatted a bit before I stopped at the next water stop and he went on. I tried my best after that to catch up to him but never was able to. At that point I was playing leap frog with another woman.

Around mile 5 I passed her and hear her say, "Go just go for it, you got it. Keep pushing hard." And so I did. I ran as fast as I could and didn't stop even to walk the hills that I really really wanted to walk. With about .20 to go P. Mark Taylor from Wise Running was coming up the hill after his finish and ran me back into my finish. I had already picked up the pace that last mile but with him beside me I really picked it up. So much so that I said, "Fat girls shouldn't run this fast." He said that I should take that as a sign that I'm not (fat) since I was running that pace just fine. Such a great man! He congratulated me on my success and moved to the side so I could finish. It was a great moment for me and a great day for running!

I didn't break an hour for my 10k and I didn't even get a PR. What I did get was a great race. I have a lot to be proud of with this race. 1. I'm recovering from injury. 2. Had been dealing with a calf issue on Thursday that had me wondering if I'd even be able to run a mile of this race. and 3. I ran a downhill half last weekend. Even with all that I managed to pull through and run a strong race.



6.24 miles (1:00:57)
Mile 1: 9:58
Mile 2: 10:20
Mile 3: 9:57
Mile 4: 9:45
Mile 5: 10:05
Mile 6: 8:57
.24: 8:54(2:10)

Overall this was a great race and I had nothing to be worried about. I COULD have definitely gotten myself a pr IF I had just ran a little faster in mile 2 and not taken those walk breaks at the hill and water stop. BUT I won't be beating myself up given the circumstances I listed above. I'm proud. And I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do at this same race next year. 10k is not my favorite race distance but it is definitely one I wan to work harder at getting faster for!

5 comments: