Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hot to Trot - a race recap

Thanksgiving morning started bright and early for the hubby and myself...and my fave running pals, Kate and Terri. The hubby and I met Terri a little after 6am to travel over to a local Thanksgiving Day race hosted by Fleet Feet. There was a 5k and 10k to get people started on the right track for their Thanksgiving gobbling. ;)

The hubby was all set to run the 5k while Terri, Kate and myself were all signed up for the 10k.

I laid all my running gear out the night before... just like so!
[caption id="attachment_840" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The race gear.. minus pants...which I did wear. ;) "][/caption]

The morning of started out great. I had my usual peanutbutter toast with a little water and we were out the door early to meet Terri. The drive over I felt great...you know I only say this because of my usual pre race "issues" and all. ;) Anyway, I was prepared early by taking one Imodium before eating my toast and then again in the car on the drive over. I knew I would be ok.

We got to the race just as the sun was coming up. I snapped these awesome pics of the hubby and myself.

[caption id="attachment_841" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Pre-race self photo. I was freezing, by the way!"][/caption]
[caption id="attachment_842" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="The hubby lookin' all cool as the sun comes up! "][/caption]

The race course was on the road of a busy shopping center or shopping centers. It started in the road in front of Fleet Feet. I am not sure how many people registered for the both the 5k and 10k but will say that the course was congested for the first couple of miles. I was (and so was my running crew) mildly annoyed by the walkers that lined up in the middle of the pack. I love some walkers but seriously they should know the back of the pack is their place. We lined up near the 10:30 pace group so clearly there should not really have been in walkers there. It took a good minute plus to cross the start and I started my Garmin as soon as my foot hit the pad. We bobbed and weaved through the walkers a while. Once I got warmed up I had to shed the fleece pullover I started out wearing. Luckily it was there after the race when I went back for it, though I wouldn't have cared if it was not. It was one of those Black Friday deals last year and I'm sure I only gave $5 for it. I had already gotten my money's worth. I digress...

We were maintaining a sub 10 pace (more like 9:30) and I felt really good. I didn't run this race with music at all. Seems that is my new race thing. lol Anyway, the hubby ran on ahead of me at some point just after the turn back and both of my friends were ahead of me at that point. I was thinking I was going to have to stop by the portapotties on the way back to the start/5k split but my body decided to cooperate with me and I caught back up with my friends. Or maybe my friend, Terri, had taken a little break and waited on me. She has been dealing with a horrible cough the last few weeks. Either way I was grateful to have met back up with her. I don't recall what time was on the clock when we made the split and the 5k runners were done but I knew it was under 30 minutes which meant I was on track for my race goal.

The course was an out and back but the 10k looped twice. Not bad at all. It wasn't really hilly but wasn't exactly totally flat. My kind of course really. Easy on the body as far as running goes but flat enough to have a bit of difficulty so that I would push myself at a faster pace. Makes total sense, yes?!

I don't really have an exciting race story. I felt strong. The urge to use the bathroom did hit me hard around mile 5 but I begged my bowels/butt to hang on for one more mile...then .20. Please, booty, I said, YOU GOT THIS! ;) You know I'm just keepin' it real. I had a goal pre race of under an hour but told my friend I would be happy with 1:03. At the pace I was going I knew I would be under 1:03. I wasn't there to win an award or anything, just to burn off my turkey before I ate it.

The hubby finished his 5k in 29:20. His goal was to break 30. He kicked butt. He told me he was going to run his race then find me and cheer me in. I told him when I got out of the car that I would have the camera waiting on him. Here's what he got...

[caption id="attachment_846" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption=""thumbs up" because I am almost there!"][/caption]
[caption id="attachment_847" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Finishing... same determined look on my face as always! ha"][/caption]

I finished in 1:00:14. I am pleased with that time. I do wish I had pushed myself just a little harder a few times or skipped the one water break at mile 5. But overall it was a great race and I am happy with my overall 9:40 pace!!

We took a few post race pics, after I hit up the porta potties of course and were on our way home.
[caption id="attachment_848" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Terri, Kate, and me"][/caption]

It was a great day for a race.. perfect weather, great course and of course all my favorite people by my side. The day started off and lead to a very Happy Thanksgiving for me and my little family. I look forward to doing this race again next year!
[caption id="attachment_849" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="me and the hubby post race"][/caption]

5 comments: