Sunday, November 6, 2011

Long run Sunday

I decided yesterday, after being relatively lazy and not having time in my day to fit in the gym, that I needed to make time for a long run today. So, I sent an FB message to my fave local running buddy and we made arrangements to run with a local group that meets on Sunday mornings.

With the time change, I was all messed up. I fell asleep on the loveseat watching some SEC football game you also may have watched. But I digress.

I set my alarm on my cell phone but was worried that it would not automatically change the time and I coudln't figure out how in the world to change it. Darn these phones being smarter than us people! So, I was already concerned that I would wake up late and miss my friends. Around 5am I woke up, toss turn toss turn and tried to go back to sleep but my body wasn't having it. When hubby's alarm went off at 6:30, I got up. I dressed and was waited on my friend to come pick me up.

My goal yesterday when I contacted her was to just run 8 miles. I did run a half marathon last weekend and she ran the MCM. But 10 miles was on tap for today. I could do it. For whatever reason I am not intimidated at all right now by miles. I think this may be a good sign!?

We met our group at 8am. All different distances and pace goals. The 3 of us decided to stay together. It was chilly out and we were all well dressed. We were rocking and rolling on a new course (for me). I love running new courses.

Here are our splits from today.

mile 1- 9:34
mile 2 - 10:27
mile 3 - 10:18
mile 4 - 10:03
mile 5 - 11:43 (we stopped to stretch at the turnaround point and we also refueled)
mile 6 - 10:10
mile 7 - 10:21
mile 8 - 10:57 (we didn't realize we had been climbing a bit of a hill)
mile 9 - 10:32
mile 10 - 10:59

total time - 1:45:07

This was a really great run.
I was happy. Last year I met these ladies and we ran our first run together. I mentioned this today because last year the first run I ran with them was a 5-6 miler where we really took it slow (btwn 11-12 min/miles) AND took walk breaks every 1/2-1 mile! And it wasn't all that easy for me. Today's run was considerably easier and was done at a much faster pace as well as double the distance.

I'm amazed (still) how far I have come. And I don't say that to brag or to have anyone comment on how far I have come. I say that to anyone out there that is attempting to run too. You can do it. Keep running. Practice makes perfect. I am living proof (though I do NOT feel I am perfect by any means). Hard work pays off. If you have a goal, go after it!

7 comments: