Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pad my seat

Tuesday morning my alarm clock went off at 5:16 a.m. The hubby says, "You're going to spin this morning, don't forget." I rolled out of bed to the bathroom. I was still tired, but I dressed and was eagerly out the door by 5:30 to make it across town to the 6am spin class at my gym.

I walked in the gym half asleep, grabbed a couple of towels and headed upstairs. I met a woman on the stairs headed to the class and she told me I would be fine. I got in, set up the bike I chose and she says, "How tall are you?" I figured she thought I had myself set up on the spin bike wrong, but said to her, "I'm not tall. I always tell people I'm short. 5'3." She said I was fine and that the instructor would notice I was new and come talk to me. Great.

Just as the lady told me, Todd, the instructor came right over to me. The convo went something like this.
T- "Is this your first time at spin class?"
Me - Yep.
T - "you'll be fine. You're set up good. Just follow along, the tension knob is here and you'll know when to adjust it. If you feel you can't hang after about 10-20 minutes it is ok to just leave class."
Me - Thanks.

I was irked by the fact that he thought maybe I couldn't hang. Seriously, dude, I just ran a half marathon. I thought to myself ya know just because I ran a half marathon means I'm some sorta super hero workout machine or something. Ha! But seriously, I really did think that IF I am capable of running for 2 + hours surely to goodness I could make it through 45 minutes of spin class that would be based solely on MY OWN EFFORT and what I put into it. Right!? Right.

And I was right.

Oh and the lady beside and Todd the instructor both did inform me of the booty discomfort I would feel. Todd even said, "Guys deal with it too and it's not a huge deal." What? Like guys are special because they have extra junk to deal with? Whatever. I can do this.

And I did. My booty was not hurting at the end of class, but geez Louise we spent more time doing standing sprints (on the bike of course) than we did with our butts on the seat so how could it hurt?

Oh, but let me tell you!! Later in the day, my booty felt every minute it spent on that tiny spin bike seat. Today the bootay is a little better and I even plan to wake up at 5:16 a.m. tomorrow morning and hit spin class again.

And unless my butt develops callouses (like a friend, who also teaches spin at my gym swears she has) then make my seat padded, please!?

1 comment: