Sunday, March 17, 2013

Greenways 5k race recap

A few weeks ago I signed up to run a local 5k. It's not a race I have ran here before but was ran on a portion of greenway that I have ran plenty of times so I kind of knew the course. I've been doing more training for long distance but also doing my speed work. The last 5k race I ran was almost a year ago. So, that being said I wasn't sure what my goal would be. As far as running this year I have a couple of major goals with one of those being the sub 2 half marathon so that has been my focus. As far as training I leave the details up to my coach and try to hit my pace and miles based on what my schedule says.

This week was a crazy week for us. My son had surgery Wednesday (tonsils, adenoids, tubes for the 2nd time and sinus surgery) and that kind of threw my week into a whirlwind. I had issues Weds as he was helping (at 7 yrs old) the nurse take out his IV and I passed out becoming a patient myself. I managed to only run 2 of my miles for the day at our running group's social run for the week. They were slow and stop/go but they were miles logged. Thursday should have been my day for "plenty of rest and proper fuel" for race day but it was a horrible day for my boy and around 11pm we ended up having to make a trip to the ER where we would spend the next several hours.

Needless to say there was no sleep on Thursday/Friday until almost 6am and I was up again in just 4 and 1/2 short hours with only an hour nap throughout the day. I did manage to get out for a 4 miler with a friend that afternoon which helped restore my energy a little. I still was unsure what race day would hold for me but I was willing to try to get in bed early and try my best on race day. I got my race plan Thursday night and was studying it a bit knowing that I had it in me to hit the paces given to me by my coach but also took note in the line where he said, "This is not a fast course and you will be flittering with your PR." I knew I had trained well and could have hit my paces. What I also knew is that lack of rest was going to be a factor.

Race morning I met my friend at the location and we got our bibs then did our 2 mile warmup. We got tickled at the different types of folks there for this race, specifically those that said things like, "Look at all those people running already. I need to save my energy for the race." Ha! There was a time when I was that runner who didn't quite get the idea of a warm up before a race especially a 5k. Well, now I know the importance of them!

When the gun went off instead of being anxious or nervous I was ready to go. We lined up towards the very front since we knew the course would be crowded and didn't want to waste time trying to dodge folks. This worked out well except that I went out a bit fast. It wasn't really an issue with breathing or my legs but mentally since I tried to scale back and lost my pace by 2 seconds but managed to gain back on a downhill.

The goal was to hit 8:30, 8:20 and then all out. I hit the first mile at 8:30 which was on pace. I'm not sure where I lost steam the last 2 miles but I was a bit slower. It could've been the hills or it could've been the spineless man that was weaving back and forth in front of me as I was trying to pass him, rude! I finally told him to, "Pick a side!," and I whizzed by him. From that point in the race (mile 1.2) on my only goal was to stay ahead of him and start picking off other runners. This seemed to work for the most part. But like I said I didn't exactly hit my goal.

Miles 2 and 3 were 8:42 and 8:48

I could hear voices as I neared the finish line and saw my coach standing on the sidelines telling me to keep pushing and that I was coming in under 27 mins. My Garmin showed 26:45 and I think they clocked me at 26:47. So, only 14 seconds slower than a PR. I am reminding myself that this is pretty amazing given not only the circumstances of the week BUT the fact that I have spent the last 3 weeks back in physical therapy due to a slight issue with my hip injury. Well rested and uninjured I am sure I could have done so much better but the fact of the day is that I was out there and gave it all I had for that day.

Wanna know what that got me??

First place Athena and a lovely Shamrock plant!  Who can be disappointed in that?!

Did you race this weekend? How'd ya do?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great job, girl!!! I can't wait to be that fast! I didn't race this weekend, but I did a 10 mile run. Hope your son is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, just read your story. You are amazing :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete