Friday, May 28, 2010

>Worst pre-race week ever

>Tomorrow my hubby and I are going to be running the Tennessee Sports Medicine EXPO 5k. I go today to pick up our race packets. This race has been held for a long time but this will be the first time my hubby and I are running it. I have been pretty excited about it for a few reasons. One being that I was told it was a good race. Secondly, we are running as a team (whatever that means since my hubby will more than likely smoke my butt!!). And finally, the hubby and I aren't your typical runners so we fall under the athena/clydesdale category and this particular race actually has those! Woohoo!

My excitement halted a bit as of Wednesday following my run. I did intervals that day (which kicked butt.. 8:56 min/mile for 3.15 miles in 28:07). I felt great. Too bad I can't keep a pace like that for an entire 5k. Anyway, I didn't have time that morning to grab my running clothes so my hubby packed them for me and dropped them off on his way out of town (booo). Well, I had gotten a new Nike under wire sports bra. I wore it before to workout (elliptical/weights) and it was fine. Wednesday that is the one he brought me to wear and it was a scheduled run day. I knew right away that it wasn't a great bra for running but it really didn't hit me until I got home. I have the worst burn spot smack in the middle of my girls. OUCH! I will spare you any really gross details but those of you who run know this is not a good thing to have happen just days before a race!

As if dealing with my little boo boo wasn't enough add to that my husband being out of town for 3 days AND  me coming down with a sinus/allergy/head cold. I have been treating it all week with sudafed but apparently that is not the right drug for me. I woke up so stuffy this morning. SO, out with the sudafed and in with the stronger stuff in hopes that I can kick this crud before tomorrow morning! lol

The forecast for tomorrow morning is this:

Saturday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

I don't mind showers so much but I do hope they either make an early appearnace (6am) or late appearance (after 9 am). I like wind as long as it is on my back. Thunderstorms might make for an interesting race though I would rather not find that out! 

As with any race I have not previously ran I do not have any set expectations other than to cross the finish line. However, my last race time was 36:35 (although they listed 36:32) so I do hope to beat that time. I would love to finish under 34 minutes but am not going to beat myself up if I don't. I hope to have a full race report by Sunday!

5 comments: